The Best Alarm Clocks
Alarm clocks have many benefits. They can help you stay on a consistent sleep schedule and give you peace of mind that you won’t oversleep. Many clocks have additional features, too, such as a built-in nightlight.
Alarm clocks aren’t always a fun product to shop for — before long, your new alarm clock will be waking you up for school or work. But they’re important, and if you look hard enough, you might even find an alarm clock with extra features that can make mornings fun.
In this guide, you’ll find a handful of specific alarm clocks that we recommend for various categories. You can also read about the typical features included in alarm clocks in general and some additional things to think about as you prepare to make this purchase.
Our Top Picks
|Best Wake-Up Light||LBell Wake-Up Light||Sunrise & sunset simulation, USB charging port, FM radio, nightlight||See Best Price|
|Best Smart Clock||Amazon Echo Spot||Connects to Alexa, protection and privacy controls, built-in speaker||See Best Price|
|Loudest Alarm||Sonic Alert SBB500SS Extra-Loud Dual Alarm Clock||Loud 113 decibel alarm, 12 volt bed shaker, flashing red lights, 1-year warranty||See Best Price|
|Best Alarm for Kids||LittleHippo Mella||Soft glowing lights, 3 alarm sounds, grows with your child||See Best Price|
|Best Value||Travelwey Home LED Digital Alarm Clock||Affordable, loud alarm, nightlight, user-friendly||See Best Price|
LBell Wake- Up Light - Best Wake-Up Light
Why we like it:
- Sunrise simulation wakes you up gently
- Sunset simulation helps you fall asleep
- USB charging port for your phone and FM radio
- Can also be used as a nightlight or reading light
The LBell Wake-Up Light isn’t your traditional alarm clock — instead of just a jarring alarm, it wakes you up with a sunrise simulation, where the light gradually changes color before the alarm goes off. You can choose the lighting time, brightness, and alarm volume. The light has seven different colors and 20 levels of light.
This alarm clock also helps you fall asleep by simulating a sunset. It includes an FM radio that can save up to 40 channels and has a USB charging port that can be simultaneously used to charge your phone.
The LBell has more than one alarm setting, meaning you can set one alarm for yourself and another for your spouse if needed. Choose from seven different natural sounds and take advantage of the snooze function — which can give you nine extra minutes of sleep. The LBell Alarm Clock can even be used as a nightlight or reading light.
Amazon Echo Spot - Best Smart Clock
Why we like it:
- Connects to Alexa
- Protection and privacy controls
- Built-in speaker
- Has many functions, versatile
The Amazon Echo Spot is a smart alarm clock that connects to Alexa. Through Alexa, it can play music, answer questions, set music alarms, and read the news or weather. You can stream music from Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon Music, and Pandora and play music on Echo devices in different rooms.
The alarm clock itself has a 2.5” screen and can fit anywhere in the house. You can choose to customize the clock face that displays on the screen. Connect to speakers through Bluetooth, or use the built-in speaker the clock includes. The Echo Spot has several protection and privacy controls to keep you safe. It’s fairly affordable for a smart device, but you can split the cost up into five payments if that’s best for your budget.
If you enjoy the convenience aspect of smart devices and want to connect multiple Echo devices around your home, the Echo Spot alarm clock is a good choice for you.
Sonic Alert SBB500SS Extra-Loud Dual Alarm Clock - Loudest Alarm
Why we like it:
- 113 decibel alarm for heavy sleepers
- Powerful 12 volt bed shaker
- Flashing red lights
- One-year manufacturer’s warranty
Do you struggle to wake up in the morning? The Sonic Alert SBB500SS Sonic Bomb can solve that problem once and for all. In case the extra-loud alarm doesn’t do the trick, this alarm clock also vibrates, shakes the bed, and flashes red lights. You can customize the volume and tone of the alarm, which can get up to 113 decibels (about the same volume as a chainsaw). The bed shaker is 12 volts.
When you’re using the clock as just a clock, you’ll appreciate the large, easy-to-read LCD screen and the bright red display. The clock is black with red accents and has a battery backup; it will work with optional 220V adapters. It also comes with a one-year manufacturer’s warranty. Finally, it has a test function so you can try out the alarm settings before the morning — an important feature in an alarm clock this intense.
LittleHippo Mella - Best Alarm for Kids
Why we like it:
- Helps kids fall asleep and wake up with soft glowing lights
- Three alarm sounds and silent countdown
- Good clock to grow with your child
For families who want a gentle way for their kids to wake up and are looking for their first alarm clock, the LittleHippo Mella is a great choice. Mella, a fun alarm clock that comes in soft colors matching your nursery, doesn’t focus primarily on making noise — instead, it uses colors and facial expressions so your children will know when it’s time to get up.
You set a sleep time and Mella will close its “eyes” and glow blue all night long. Half an hour before whatever wake-up time you choose, the alarm clock will begin to glow yellow; if your kids are already awake, you can teach them to play quietly in their room until Mella turns green with a smile, which means it’s time to get up!
Mella can grow with your child: it has three alarm sounds plus a silent countdown that can be used for older children. It also has sleep sound options and nightlight colors for evenings when sleep isn’t coming quickly enough.
Travelwey Home LED Digital Alarm Clock - Best Value
Why we like it:
- Very affordable
- Loud alarm is good for individuals who are hard of hearing
- Doubles as a nightlight
- Easy to use
The Travelwey Home LED Digital Alarm Clock is basic and simple, but gets the job done — and it works for any budget, too. The alarm continues for five minutes and the volume can be adjusted. The alarm is extremely loud, making this clock good for individuals who are hard of hearing. The snooze button pauses the alarm for nine minutes.
Red numbers on the screen are clear and big, and at night, use a slider to dim the screen’s brightness so you can fall asleep. The clock is very user-friendly and simple to figure out. Plug the clock into a standard outlet to power it and keep to AAA batteries on hand in case the power goes out.
This alarm clock can also double as a nightlight, with a light across the top that comes on when you press it. The Travelwey Home is good for just about anybody who needs a simple alarm clock.
Alarm Clock Buyer’s Guide
There are several things to take into account as you start searching for an alarm clock. Each alarm clock has a different set of features, price, ease of use, and warranties/returns.
An alarm clock is an important product and needs to be chosen well. Besides simply waking you up, an alarm clock can help with sleep hygiene. Sleep hygiene is a term referring to any habits that promote better rest, so alarm clocks with extra features that can help you sleep are helpful in this area.
Here are the features and considerations you should take into account as you look for an alarm clock to buy.
How Do Humidifiers Work?
Ideally, indoor humidity levels should remain at 30 to 50 percent. Humidifiers help to maintain that level, especially in the winter months, when humidity tends to drop. Keeping humidity levels up can help with dry skin, chapped lips, and bloody noses. Humidifiers are especially helpful for people with chronic skin conditions, like psoriasis and eczema, and can help ease the irritation caused by cold and flu symptoms. They are also recommended for people with asthma, especially when also battling a respiratory infection.
When it comes to sleep, humidifiers can help you fall asleep and stay asleep by easing the symptoms of those conditions. They can also help with snoring in some cases, especially when the snoring is caused by nasal congestion or throat irritation.
As an added benefit, increasing the humidity in a room can prevent cracks in walls, floors, and furniture, and can slow the peeling of wallpaper. Warm mist humidifiers can also cut down on heating costs in the winter since they produce warmth.
Alarm Clock Features
Each alarm clock is different, and each person’s situation and needs are different, so it may take some research to find the alarm clock that’s right for you. Start by carefully considering each feature an alarm clock has.
- Snooze Button: Most people are well-acquainted with the snooze button: it’s the button you push when your alarm goes off, but you want just a few more minutes in bed. The button resets the alarm for a few minutes (typically nine) later so you can keep resting. It can be helpful to look for an alarm clock with a customizable snooze button.
- Customization: Alarm clocks might offer customization in several different areas, such as the snooze function, volume, and the alarm itself (changing the tone of the alarm or setting it to a certain song). Purchase an alarm clock with several customization options so you can tailor it to your needs.
- Display: An alarm clock’s display is the small screen that shows the time. The display will also generally indicate whether it’s A.M. or P.M. and whether or not the alarm is turned on. Look for a display that has large numbers so it’s easy to read from across the room. You also may want a display that dims to help you sleep.
- Projector: Projector alarm clocks will actually project an image — typically an image of the time, but sometimes one of the temperature, the moon phase, or just a colorful abstract image — onto the wall, ceiling, or nightstand. A good projector alarm clock can be helpful because you won’t have to roll over to see the time.
- Music and Radio: Some clocks are a combination of radio and alarm clock. Fall asleep to peaceful music and wake up to the morning talk show. Other alarm clocks aren’t radios, but can still wake you up with music thanks to a USB port for your phone or a wireless system that lets you stream tunes.
- Volume: The volume setting on an alarm clock is important. The alarm needs to be loud enough to cut through whatever dream you were having, but nobody wants an alarm so noisy it wakes up the neighbors, too. Choose an alarm clock with easy-to-use volume controls so you can make sure to set everything correctly the night before.
- Sound Quality: Sound quality can be the difference between a gentle, pleasant wakeup and a jarring one. This is an especially important feature in alarm clocks that play music to wake you up. Look for an alarm clock with a good stereo sound and if you want something extra-good, sound technology.
- Wifi Connectivity: Smart alarm clocks can connect to Wifi to play music and provide other benefits. Some clocks can even integrate with your Amazon Alexa and perform tasks such as turning on the coffee maker before your feet hit the floor.
- Bluetooth Compatibility: Alarm clocks that are compatible with Bluetooth can connect with any of your Bluetooth devices to play music or the radio; they might have a speaker so you can wake up to music throughout the room. You can even take a hands-free phone call on some Bluetooth alarm clocks.
- Charging Ports: No more long, tangled cords — many alarm clocks these days have a USB charging port. Thanks to the port, you can keep your alarm clock charged and ready to go at any time.
Additional Alarm Clock Considerations
Before purchasing an alarm clock, there are some additional things you should consider. Sit down and think about your budget, your wants, and your needs (why are you getting an alarm clock? What do you want it to do for you?) before handing over your money.
- Price: An alarm clock is an important product that can make a difference in your daily life, but it’s not something you need to pay an exorbitant amount of money for. As you consider the price of potential alarm clocks, make sure they aren’t so cheap that they signal low-quality, but also make sure they’re well within your budget.
- Sound Options: Many alarm clocks today offer more than just a one-size-fits-all alarm. Instead, you can choose to wake up to music, the morning talk show, or the sound of waves on a seashore. It can be nice to get an alarm clock with several different options for sounds so you can choose what you like best.
- Effectiveness: You can determine the effectiveness of a certain alarm clock by reading reviews from other customers. Did it wake them up? Did it do so in a timely manner? Did it wake the neighbors up, too? Asking these types of questions can help you get an idea of how well the alarm clock will work.
- Style: Your alarm clock is going to be sitting in plain view in your bedroom, so you’ll probably want one that’s attractive and doesn’t clash with your decor — or at least, one that’s a neutral color.
- Power Source: Alarm clocks generally get their power from a cord that plugs into the wall, and often, clocks will have a battery backup feature in case a power outage should occur. Some clocks also come with a USB charging port, where you can charge other devices.
- Connectivity: Some alarm clocks can connect to Bluetooth, offering you the ability to perform a plethora of tasks through the clock. It’s a nice way to get a little more out of your device.
- Ease of Use: It can be exciting to buy an alarm clock with several novelty features. It’s also likely, however, that the more bells and whistles an alarm clock has, the more difficult it’s going to be to operate. Carefully read about an alarm clock before purchasing and check the reviews to see whether it was easy to control the settings.
- Size and Weight: Most alarm clocks are small and compact — easy to stick in a suitcase or fit on a crowded nightstand — but others might be heavy. In most situations, it will probably be more convenient to look for an alarm clock that’s on the smaller side.
- Warranty and Returns: It’s always best to be safe and purchase a product with the highest warranty you can find. For many alarm clocks, the warranty ranges from one to three years. Check the company’s return policy, too, and make sure it will be easy for you to send the alarm clock back in case it doesn’t work out for you.
*Prices without discount/promo applied.
Click for best price.