Best CBD Oils for Sleep
Cannabis, commonly referred to as marijuana and many other nicknames, has a longstanding role in popular culture with well-known references in music, movies, and more. But in recent years, its role is growing in the field of health. One reason for this is a greater understanding and use of cannabidiol (CBD), one of the active ingredients in the Cannabis plant.
Cannabis has over 100 active compounds including 100 known as cannabinoids. CBD is one of these, and so is delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which gives Cannabis its famous “high.” But CBD and THC have very different effects when ingested, and early studies indicates that many properties unique to CBD make it potentially useful for a range of medical issues, including perhaps insomnia.
CBD can be extracted from the Cannabis plant, including hemp, which does not contain THC, and then processed into an oil. This allows for the CBD to be concentrated and easily ingested. While much more research is needed to really understand the role of CBD in managing health conditions, there has been a dramatic increase in interest in and use of CBD.
In this guide, we’ll review what is known about CBD including what it is, its legal status, how it is used, some of its potential benefits and risks, and more. We’ll also give you our top picks for the best CBD oils for sleep.
Before we jump into the guide, though, it is important to be clear about two things. First, this is not medical advice. With the amount still unknown about CBD, it’s necessary to talk with a doctor before starting to use it. Second, this is not legal advice. CBD that comes from hemp plants tends to be easier to find and is the focus of this guide, but remember that there is still a lot of legal uncertainty.
Our Top CBD Oils for Sleep
There are a lot of CBD products on the market, and it can be an overwhelming process to try to choose between them. For that reason, we’ve narrowed down to our top choices for the best CBD oils for sleep.
For our top picks, we’ve focused on the best brands rather than any one specific product. The reason is that each person can have different preferences relating to concentration, dosage, and flavor. Each of these brands offers a range of products that you can choose from to find what best fits your needs.
Why we like it:
- Lab-certified to contain no additives or preservatives
- Extracted using the greener and more effective CO2 method
- Sleep Help Exclusive Discount: 20% off (use code: SLEEP)
NuLeaf Naturals, a Colorado-based company started in 2014, offers CBD oil that is organic and certified by laboratory testing to contain CBD without additives or preservatives.
NuLeaf specializes in full-spectrum CBD oil. This means that their oil is an extract of whole Cannabis flowers and contains terpenes, CBD, and other cannabinoids like CBG and CBDA. Some customers find the effects of full-spectrum oil to be more beneficial than oils that isolate only CBD.
The company uses CO2 extraction, a greener method than some others that can leave behind chemicals or degrade the quality of the final product.
The concentration of NuLeaf’s oil is 50 mg/mL, and this concentration is checked by laboratory testing right after extraction and again by a third-party laboratory before being sold. One drop of oil contains around 2.4 mg of CBD, and the oil is sold in bottles of many different sizes, allowing you to choose based on your own needs and budget.
Online ordering comes with free shipping in the U.S., and most orders arrive within 3 business days. Shipping is available to over 40 countries for an additional charge.
NuLeaf Naturals has a return policy that provides a refund, minus return shipping costs, for unopened bottles of oil. Once a bottle has been opened, it cannot be returned.
Order using a link on this page and get an exclusive 20% discount from Sleep Help.
Why we like it:
- Option for Raw Drops or more refined Gold Formula Oil
- Flavored and unflavored options
- Produced from non-GMO and pesticide-free agricultural hemp
- Sleep Help Exclusive Discount: 15% off
Plus CBD’s product line includes their Raw Drops and the Gold Formula CBD Oil. Both are made using non-GMO agricultural help grown in Europe and without pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers.
The Raw Drops are a full-plant extract that contains an extensive amount of terpenes, cannabinoids, plant sterols, and other compounds.
The Gold Formula goes through an extra step that refines the plant material from the Total Plant Complex. The final product contains only CBD, minor cannabinoids, and plant-based fatty acids. The Gold Formula has a higher concentration of CBD and comes at a higher price point.
The Gold Formula CBD drops come in a 250mg concentration in a 30 mL bottle and in 750mg and 1500mg concentrations in a 60 mL bottle. For taste, customers can choose between unflavored, peppermint, and goji blueberry.
The Raw Oil comes in a 30 mL bottle with a concentration of 100mg and in a 60 mL bottle with a 500mg concentration. It is offered either unflavored or with a peppermint flavor.
In addition to the bottles of the Gold Formula and Raw Oil, Pure CBD sells capsules, soft gels, gummies, oral spray, topical balms, and oil in oral applicators.
Free domestic shipping is included on orders over $75. Products usually arrive within 4-7 business days after an order is placed online. International shipping is available to many countries as well.
Plus CBD only accepts returns of unopened and unused products that are sent back within 14 days of delivery.
Why we like it:
- Unique "broad-spectrum" oil that's a hybrid of full spectrum and pure CBD oils
- Derived from organic, non-GMO hemp plants
- Comes in four different flavors
- Sleep Help Exclusive Discount: 15% off
The CBD oil from cbdMD is a broad-spectrum oil that is a hybrid of full-spectrum oil and pure CBD isolate.
From the full-spectrum oil, cbdMD’s oil includes CBD as well as other essential oils, cannabinoids, terpenes, and amino acids and is preferred by some customers who find that it has an “entourage effect.” The mixture with oil from CBD isolate gives the company more control over the final product to ensure that there is no residual THC.
This oil is derived from non-GMO hemp plants grown in Kentucky. These plants are organic and grown without the use of pesticides or herbicides.
CO2 extraction is used to produce the oil without chemicals, and lab testing is used to certify the quality of the oil and that there are no traces of animal products or gluten-containing compounds in the final product.
The oil is offered in 30 mL bottles with concentrations of 300mg, 750mg, 1500mg, 3000mg, 5000mg, and 7500mg. The company also offers 60 mL bottles with concentrations of 1000mg and 1500mg. The oils are available in four flavors: natural, orange, mint, and berry.
The cbdMD CBD PM product, available as a tincture and spray, several natural sleep aids to the full-spectrum CBD oil. The other ingredients include melatonin, passion flower, hops, valerian root, chamomile flower, and lemon balm. Other CBD products from the company include capsules, gummies, topicals, bath combs, and vape oils.
Free shipping is included to addresses in the United States on orders of any size, and deliveries usually arrive within 4-10 business days after an order is placed.
As an added benefit, cbdMD backs their products with a 30-day money back guarantee. If you are not happy with your purchase, you can return it for a full refund even if the product has been opened.
Order using a link on this page and get an exclusive 15% discount from Sleep Help.
Why we like it:
- Derived from organic, non-GMO hemp
- Extracted using CO2, a green solution resulting in a solvent-free oil
- Sleep Help Exclusive Discount: 15% off - Use Code: SLEEP
Green Roads produces CBD oil and other CBD products using non-GMO hemp grown in Colorado. This hemp is organic and made without the use of pesticides or harmful chemicals.
The entire plant is used in a process of CO2 extraction, leaving a final product that is free of solvents. The result is a full-spectrum oil that includes CBD as well as terpenes, other cannabinoids, and essential oils to promote the “entourage effect.”
The production process involves extensive testing for quality control, and Certificates of Analysis are available on the company’s website.
The company’s CBD oil is sold in multiple concentrations and sizes and at numerous price points. In 15 mL bottles, Green Roads offers concentrations of 100mg, 250mg, 350mg, and 550mg. In 30 mL bottles, the company sells 1000mg and 1500mg concentrations, and a 3000mg concentration is available in a 60 mL bottle.
For people who want a product for on-the-go or that makes for easy measurement of dosage, Green Roads has pre-filled droppers of CBD oil at several concentrations.
The company’s CBD Syrup, offered in grape, mango, and strawberry flavors, is a product intended specifically to help with sleep as it adds melatonin to the CBD oil.
Other CBD products sold by Green Roads include edibles, capsules, terpene tinctures, topical creams, CBD concentrate, and tea and coffee blended with CBD.
Green Roads ships throughout the United States and offers free shipping on orders over $100. Most orders arrive within 4-6 business days. The company has a rewards points program as an added bonus for frequent customers.
There is a 30-day return policy available for Green Roads products that are unopened and unused. No returns are accepted on opened products.
For an exclusive 15% discount from Sleep Help, simply enter the code "SLEEP" on the Green Roads order page.
Why we like it:
- Lab-tested to confirm purity and quality
- Derived from organically grown non-GMO hemp
- Comes in two different flavors
- Sleep Help Exclusive Discount: 20% off
The CBD oil from Nature’s Script starts with non-GMO hemp grown in the U.S. according to organic standards, which means that the base plant material is free of pesticides or herbicides.
The company uses CO2 extraction to separate CBD from other plant materials. The result is CBD isolate, which is then used to create the CBD oil.
The final product is a pure CBD oil that does not contain other cannabinoids, terpenes, or other compounds extracted from the plant. The use of CBD isolate also eliminates any trace elements of THC. Independent laboratory testing is used to confirm the composition and quality of this oil.
The CBD oil comes in two flavors -- strawberry and peppermint -- and is sold in five different concentrations: 300mg, 600mg, 1000mg, 2000mg, and 4000mg. All of these options come in a 30 mL bottle.
CBD Syrup is a nighttime product to help with sleep and combines CBD oil with natural sleep aids melatonin, L-Theanine, white willow bark, and turmeric. The CBD Syrup comes in a fruit punch flavor with little to no medicinal aftertaste.
For customers interested in other CBD products, Nature’s Script manufactures capsules, gummies, e-liquid for vaping, and topical gels.
Products are shipped throughout the United States and to many international addresses. The price of shipping depends on the location and weight of the package, and U.S. orders generally arrive within five to ten business days after an order is placed. Expedited shipping is available at additional cost.
Nature’s Script backs their products with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.
Order using a link on this page and get an exclusive 15% discount from Sleep Help.
What is CBD Oil and How Can It Help With Sleep?
What is CBD?
Within the Cannabis plant are hundreds of different types of individual chemical compounds. Over 100 of these have been identified and classified as cannabinoids including CBD. Not all cannabinoids have the same effects when ingested, which is why CBD is discussed separately from the more famous cannabinoid THC.
CBD and some other cannabinoids, known as endogenous cannabinoids or endocannabinoids, are also naturally produced by the body as part of the endocannabinoid system (ECS). Receptors in the body for cannabinoids appear to be most related to the neurological and immune systems.
In the body, there are two key receptors for cannabinoids: CB1 and CB2. Cannabinoids can activate these receptors, which is what happens when someone experience a high from THC -- it’s the CB1 receptor being activated by that cannabinoid. CBD does not activate these receptors to the same extent, which is why it can have signaling effects in the body but does not produce a “high” or level of intoxication.
How is CBD Extracted from Cannabis?
CBD exists in both hemp and marijuana plants. Hemp plants are distinct from the plant strains that produce intoxicating plants.
CBD can be extracted from plant material using either a solvent that is then evaporated away or by using carbon dioxide. After the initial extraction, other compounds besides CBD may be present, including THC. This oil is referred to as full-spectrum oil. However, if that extract can be cooled and further purified to remove non-CBD components, it can become crystalline isolate, which is in a powder form.
How is Extracted CBD Used?
Once it has been extracted, there are several different ways that CBD oil may be ingested.
- Edible: the oil may be added to and ingested with food or drink. Cooking it at high temperatures may affect the availability or amount of CBD in the food.
- Capsule: the oil can be put into capsules to be easily ingested.
- Tincture: tinctures are liquids that can be consumed in individual drops that are generally placed on or under the tongue.
- Topical: lotions or salves with CBD can be applied directly to the skin where the cannabinoid is absorbed.
- Vapor: vaporizing pens, which are similar to those used for e-cigarettes, can create an inhalable vapor from heated CBD oil.
When ingesting CBD, the dosage is measured in milligrams (mg). The higher the mg, the higher the strength. The proper dosage depends on your weight and intended goals of using CBD. Because of the lack of detailed study of CBD, there are not clear guidelines for what amounts to an exact amount that should be taken. Consult with the manufacturer and a health professional for guidance about what amount of CBD is appropriate given your situation.
What is CBD Oil Used For?
For many years, research into medicinal uses of CBD was limited because of the connection with marijuana, an illegal drug. As a result, there is a significant lack of detailed studies that have been repeated and verified, so there is still much that is unknown about whether and how much CBD can help when it comes to a number of medical conditions.
As it relates to sleep, the National Institutes of Health, some early-stage research showed that taking 160 mg of CBD before bed helped reduce insomnia. More research is necessary, but there are many anecdotal reports of CBD helping people who struggle with falling asleep or staying asleep. CBD has also shown some indications that it may help with relief of pain and anxiety, both of which can contribute to sleeping problems.
For other conditions, a Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) testified to Congress that studies in cells and animals indicated that CBD may have “anti-seizure, antioxidant, neuroprotective, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-tumor, anti-psychotic, and anti-anxiety properties.” However, the medical community is awaiting the results of additional research before conclusions can be made about CBD’s effectiveness in these contexts and its optimal dosing and usage.
What Are the Side Effects of CBD Oil?
CBD is generally considered to be safe, but there are some known potential side effects. In addition, there may be further side effects that become more well-known as research about CBD advances. Some of the known possible effects include:
- Altered liver function: CBD may change the speed at which the liver breaks down other compounds, especially other medications. This may mean that the way that the effects and side effects of other drugs, including a person’s regular prescriptions, can be changed. These changes may not always be predictable especially for people taking multiple different medications.
- Decreased blood pressure: in some people, CBD can induce a temporary drop in blood pressure. This can cause a person to feel lightheaded or weak.
- Drowsiness: some people find that CBD can have a sedative effect. Some patients may want to be cautious especially if taking it alongside any other sedatives (such as alcohol, narcotic pain medications, or other herbal sleep aids). Because of this effect, it is also wise to avoid driving or operating machinery when using CBD.
- Dry mouth: users of marijuana have long referred to “cottonmouth,” or the feeling of dry mouth that occurs after using it. Use of CBD can also cause this sensation because it can reduce saliva production.
Because of these side effects, especially those relating to the interaction with other medications, it is crucial for people who want to use CBD oil to first talk with a health professional. In addition, pregnant women and people with Parkinson’s Disease should be sure to talk with their doctor before using CBD because of unknown potential side effects.
Is CBD Oil Legal?
CBD is currently federally illegal in the United States. This means that it is not legal to sell or possess CBD oil except for academic research. As a result, though rarely enforced, possessing CBD oil is illegal under federal law. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, being labeled as a “dietary supplement” does not change this legal status.
State laws vary when it comes to CBD. Many states have legalized Cannabis products or have made special exceptions for CBD-based products. To know the specifics of your state’s laws, check with your state attorney general or an attorney licensed to practice in your state.
Where Can You Buy CBD Oil?
CBD oil can be purchased through several avenues, although again, it is important to keep its dynamic legal status in mind when shopping for CBD oil. Some of the places where you can buy CBD oil include:
- Online: there are many sellers who operate online and offer different types of CBD oil through their own websites or third-party resellers.
- Physical stores in some states: in states that have legalized Cannabis and/or CBD products, you can buy CBD from physical stores or Cannabis shops. In states with medical marijuana dispensaries, patients with a certification or “green card” can likely buy CBD oil in those dispensaries.
Be sure to check the reputation of anyone that you are considering buying CBD oil from in order to make sure that they have a track record of producing quality oils and providing solid customer service.
What are the Key Considerations When Buying CBD Oil?
When purchasing CBD oil, there are a few factors to take into account to help find the best product for you:
- Extraction: if you have a preferred method by which the CBD was extracted, make sure to look for that in the product description.
- Independent testing: it’s important to make sure that the CBD is of high quality and that is usually done through third-party testing for purity and concentration. Look for this information to be easily available, for example, published directly on the product page on a website selling CBD oil.
- Cost: obviously, your budget matters, so cost is an important consideration when shopping for CBD oil. Calculate the cost per milligram by dividing the price by the concentration - this lets you compare product costs more directly.
- Your weight: the dosage of CBD that you will take depends on your body weight, so keep in mind that if you are heavier, you will likely need to take more CBD than someone who weighs less.
- Flavors: some CBD oils have added flavors to make them more palatable such as vanilla, mint, or cinnamon.
- Seller reputation: you want to make sure that your CBD oil comes from a reputable seller, so do your research about the reputation of any company you are considering buying from.