The Best Pregnancy Pillows
Pregnant women need plenty of rest, but the changes in their bodies during pregnancy -- and the uncomfortable symptoms that come along with growing a baby -- often make it difficult to get a good night’s sleep. Not only does a growing belly mean aches in pains in your back, hips, and legs, but pregnancy also brings other discomforts like acid reflux that can make finding a comfortable sleeping position feel impossible.
To get comfortable in bed, most pregnant women resort to building “nests” out of bed pillows to support their bellies and backs. Using a pregnancy pillow instead eliminates the need for all of those pillows, and provides support and comfort where it’s needed most. Because there are so many different options to choose from, we’ve created this helpful buying guide to share our top picks for the best pregnancy pillow in each category, and help you know what to look for to make the best decision for your individual needs.
Our Top Picks
|Most Versatile||Pregnancy Pillow||U-Shaped, detachable extension, machine-washable cover, lifetime warranty||See Best Price|
|Best for Back Pain||Full Body Pregnancy Pillow||Contoured U-shape, can be adjusted into multiple shapes, available in multiple colors||See Best Price|
|Best for C-Shaped||Snoogle Total Body Pregnancy Pillow||100% polyfill filling, machine-washable cotton/poly jersey blend zippered cover, 90-day limited warranty||See Best Price|
|Best Wedge||Pregnancy Pillow Wedge||Double-sided wedge pillow, CertiPUR-US® memory foam, removable velboa cover, lifetime guarantee||See Best Price|
|Best Organic Pregancy Pillow||Memory Foam Body Pillow||Adjustable, cooling, gel-infused microfiber and memory foam fill, entire pillow is machine-washable, hypoallergenic||See Best Price|
|Best Small Space Solution||Pregnancy Support Pillow||Compact design, machine-washable cover, adjustable design suitable for multiple purposes||See Best Price|
PharMeDoc Pregnancy Pillow - Most Versatile
Why we like it:
- Adjustable polyfill ensures the right amount of support where you need it
- Detachable extension can be used on its own as a body pillow
- Soft jersey-knit cover is machine washable and available in four colors
- Lifetime warranty
The PharmMeDoc Pregnancy Pillow gets our nod for being the most versatile pregnancy pillow thanks to its U-shape design, detachable extension, and adjustable polyfill filling. Wider with a slightly lower loft than other pregnancy pillows on Amazon, this pillow provides excellent support for the head, back, belly, hips, and legs. This makes side sleeping more comfortable, even if you are usually a back or stomach sleeper. The soft jersey cotton cover comes in gray, mint, pink, and blue, and is easily removed for washing.The polyfill also allows the pillow to stay cool and to be fully adjustable, so you can use it for sleeping as well as for extra support after the baby is born. PharMeDoc pillows come with a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee, as well as a lifetime warranty.
Queen Rose Full Body Pregnancy Pillow - Best for Back Pain
Why we like it:
- Curved design follows the contours of a pregnant body, providing exceptional support
- Bionic polyethyl filling is fully adjustable and hypoallergenic
- Provides excellent support for side sleeping
- Oversized, allowing you to stretch out
If you are dealing with back pain during pregnancy, the Queen Rose Full Body Pregnancy Pillow can help. The oversized U-shape pillow provides excellent support for the whole body, including the back and belly. The Queen Rose pregnancy pillow is contoured to the shape of a pregnant body to provide full support for a growing belly, relieving back pain. The high-density bionic polyethyl filling is soft like other polyfills, but retains its loft without getting lumpy.
Designed to support side sleeping, this pregnancy pillow can be adjusted to support you while sitting up as well. This makes it a good option if you’re dealing with congestion or reflux, and for providing support during feedings after the baby arrives. The machine-washable cotton cover is available in four color combinations. Queen Rose offers a 90-day satisfaction guarantee, with the option to return or exchange your pillow if you aren’t satisfied.
Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pregnancy Pillow - Best C-Shaped
Why we like it:
- C-shape provides comfortable alignment for the whole body
- Foldable design allows for support in multiple positions
- Replaces multiple pillows with one
- New cover design is easier to put back on without damaging the pillow
Designed by a registered nurse and mom to take the place of several individual pillows, the Snoogle Chic C-shaped pillow can be used however you like to provide support and give you a more comfortable night’s sleep. The Snoogle Chic keeps your body aligned when you’re sleeping on your side by providing a nook for your head, support for your back and belly, and an end that can be tucked between your knees. The pillow can also be folded into different shapes for support in different positions.
Although the original version’s cover was hard to put on after washing -- and in some cases actually tore the pillow -- the new, easy-off cover doesn’t have the same problem. The 100 percent cotton zippered cover is machine washable, and fits over the pillow stuffed with soft 100 percent polyester fiberfill. The Snoogle comes with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, so you can return or exchange the pillow if you don’t like it. The manufacturer also offers a 90-day limited warranty.
hiccapop Pregnancy Pillow Wedge - Best Wedge
Why we like it:
- Small size takes up less space in bed and increases portability
- Double-sided memory foam options allow for optimal comfort
- Targeted support where you need it most
- Lifetime warranty
Pregnancy pillows can take up a lot of space in bed, so if you are looking for a smaller option that provides support to a specific area, the hiccapop Pregnancy Pillow Wedge is a good option. This two-sided pillow has soft memory foam on one side and firmer foam on the other to give you the exact amount of support you need, where you need it. The pillow can be used under your belly, between your knees, or behind your back to provide plenty of support and comfort.
Although some memory foam can get hot, the hiccapop uses a perforated memory foam that helps it stay cooler and more comfortable. The soft velboa is removable and machine washable, and the smaller size allows you to use the pillow wherever you need extra support. The manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty.
Coop Home Goods Memory Foam Body Pillow - Best Organic
Why we like it:
- Versatile design works before, during, and after pregnancy
- Shredded memory foam fill is can be adjusted for maximum comfort
- Fill is hypoallergenic and dust-mite resistant, good for people with allergies
- Provides excellent support for side sleeping
The Coop Home Goods Memory Foam Body Pillow is ideal to use both during and after pregnancy. A standard rectangular body pillow, it is filled with shredded, CertiPUR-US® memory foam that you can add, remove, or reshape to better fit your unique needs. The body pillow encourages side sleeping and provides excellent support for your belly and proper body alignment to reduce aches and pains and give you a good night’s sleep.
The soft, breathable cover helps the pillow stay cool, and the memory foam is hypoallergenic and dust-mite resistant. If you are struggling to get used to sleeping on your side during pregnancy, this body pillow provides excellent back support to keep you in the right position. Coop Home Goods offers a 100-night sleep trial and a 5-year limited warranty.
Boppy Pregnancy Support Pillow - Best Small Space Solution
Why we like it:
- Smaller size doesn’t take up too much room in bed
- Versatile design allows you to add support where you need it
- Removable, machine-washable cover
- Soft polyfill doesn’t make you sleep hot
The Boppy Support Pillow is an excellent choice for a small space, or when you don’t want your pillow to take up the entire bed. Boppy is well-known for its nursing pillows, but the company also makes a versatile pregnancy pillow that can provide support to your back or belly, between your knees, or anywhere you want support and comfort, in or out of bed.
Many pregnant women also like this pillow because it’s small enough to use with your favorite bed pillow under your head. The soft jersey knit cover is zippered for easy removal and machine washable. The 100 percent polyfill pillow is soft and flexible, providing plenty of support without too much loft. Boppy offers a 1-year limited warranty on their pregnancy pillows.
Pregnancy Pillow Buyer’s Guide
With so many pregnancy pillow options, it can be confusing to determine which one will help you get the best night’s sleep. Because different pillows offer varying levels of support, you might need a few different pillows throughout your pregnancy to stay comfortable. When making a purchase, consider the style and shape of the pillow, the fill used, the cover material -- and how easily it can be cleaned -- and the manufacturer warranty and return policies.
What is a Pregnancy Pillow?
A pregnancy pillow is a specially-designed pillow to help women get better sleep during pregnancy by providing more support where it’s needed most. Available in a variety of shapes and levels of firmness, pregnancy pillows relieve many of the most common pregnancy discomforts, including backaches, ligament pain, and heartburn. Unlike regular pillows, which are designed to support the head and neck during sleep, pregnancy pillows tend to be larger and support the head, back, midsection, and legs. Depending on your individual pregnancy, you might need different pillows throughout the 40 weeks. For instance, a wedge pillow or maternity cushion is often used by women with heartburn, as it can be used as a regular pillow to lift the head above the chest, while body pillows encourage proper body alignment and side sleeping to improve comfort and reduce pain.
How Do Pregnancy Pillows Help Women Sleep?
Pregnancy pillows help women sleep by providing extra support and cushioning to the belly, back, and legs. Doctors recommend that pregnant women sleep on their sides, and by the third trimester, it’s really the only possible sleeping position in bed. The weight and shape of a pregnant belly affects body alignment, though, leading to tossing, turning, and struggles to get comfortable. Pregnancy also causes a host of aches and pains in the hips, abdomen, and back, thanks to loosening muscles and ligaments and increased pressure on nerves. Supporting your body with a pillow designed for pregnancy helps relieve pressure and keep your body aligned, allowing for a more comfortable and restful night’s sleep. In short, if aches and pains and discomfort are keeping you up at night, or causing you to wake up more often than usual, a pregnancy pillow can help.
What Should I Consider When Purchasing a Pregnancy Pillow?
Because everyone’s pregnancy is different, there isn’t a single pregnancy pillow that is right for everyone. The best pregnancy pillow for you depends on a number of factors, including the shape and style of the pillow, the type of fill used, the pillow cover, how easy it is to clean, and the manufacturer’s trial, warranty, and return policies. Before you purchase a pillow, consider your individual needs and preferences to determine the features to look for.
Shape and Style of Pregnancy Pillows
U-shaped pillows are designed so you can sleep in the middle of to body length pillow sections with your head on the middle section. They support all parts of your body, and allow for different sleeping and lounging positions throughout your pregnancy. A U-shaped pillow can be propped up to provide support for back sleepers in the early weeks, and later on, they support the back and stomach when sleeping on your side.
After the shape of the pillow, the most important consideration for your pregnancy pillow is the material used to fill it. Not only does the material determine the firmness and loft of the pillow, affecting the level of support, it influences the temperature of the pillow. If you have allergies, some materials can make them worse. The most common fill materials are high-density foam, microbeads, memory foam, and poly fiber.
- High-Density Foam: High density foam creates a very firm surface, so it’s often used in wedge pillows that are designed to support specific areas of the body. It runs hotter than other materials, but doesn’t hold dust and allergens.
- Microbeads: Microbeads are very lightweight, fine beads that feel like sand inside the pillow. Pillows made from microbeads are very conforming so they offer good support.
- Memory Foam: Memory foam is a very firm and supportive fill material. It’s not quite as firm as high-density foam, so it offers excellent contouring and support for your changing body. Memory foam can run hot, so it’s typically used for smaller pillows, like wedges.
- Poly Fiber: Many body pillows are filled with poly fiber, and with good reason: It’s a soft and flexible material, offering a wide variety of firmness levels while still allowing enough airflow to keep the pillow cool. It’s also machine-washable, which helps reduce some of the allergens that can become trapped in the fill.
Cover and Cleaning
The pillow cover material, and how easily it can be cleaned, are key considerations when buying a pregnancy pillow. Obviously, you want to keep your pillow as clean as possible to keep it germ-free. Because many pregnant women sleep hot and sweat during the night, being able to wash the pillow cover to keep it fresh is a priority. Pillows are typically covered in cotton, linen, polyester, or velvet.
- Cotton: Cotton is a top choice for pregnancy pillow covers because it’s breathable -- great for women who sleep hot -- and easily cleaned. Some pillow covers are organic cotton as well, which is appealing to those who prefer all-natural fibers. On the downside, cotton doesn’t wick away moisture, so cotton covers may feel damp or wet if you sweat a lot.
- Linen: Another natural fiber, linen is a popular choice for pillow covers because it offers the breathability of cotton with the additional advantage of being able to wick away moisture. It’s a very good choice for women who sleep hot. It’s also machine washable, and gets softer over time. However, linen can be more expensive than other fabrics, and some covers might be too crisp and scratchy at first to be comfortable.
- Polyester: Polyester pillow covers come in a wide variety of textures, and are generally less expensive than other materials. They can also have more stretch than other types of covers, making them easy to remove and wash. Polyester dries faster than natural materials, but it doesn’t wick moisture, and it sleeps hotter than cotton or linen. Polyester isn’t always hypoallergenic, either, which may be a concern for those with allergies to man-made fibers.
- Velvet: Velvet pillow covers are a popular choice because they add a layer of softness and comfort that’s welcome during pregnancy. Velvet can also be hypoallergenic, protecting against dust, mites, and other allergens in the pillow. However, it does sleep hotter than other fabric, and doesn’t wick moisture, so it may not be ideal for those who sleep hot.
Warranty, Trial Period, and Return Policy
Trying a pregnancy pillow is the only way to know for sure if it is the right one for you. However, many stores that allow pillow returns will only accept pillows that haven’t been used and are still in the original packaging. It’s important, then, to look for a pillow that offers a trial period so you can determine for sure whether it will work for you. In some cases, you may be able to try your pillow without removing the packaging, but remember that the feeling will likely be different when it is removed.
Most pillow manufacturers also offer limited warranties, meaning that you can return the pillow within a specified period if there are manufacturing defects. On average, pregnancy pillow warranty periods run from 30 to 90 days.
|1||PharMeDoc Pregnancy Pillow||Most Versatile|
|2||Queen Rose Full Body Pregnancy Pillow||Best for Back Pain|
|3||Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pregnancy Pillow||Best C-Shaped|
|4||hiccapop Pregnancy Pillow Wedge||Best Wedge|
|5||Coop Home Goods Memory Foam Body Pillow||Best Organic Pillow|
|6||Boppy Pregnancy Support Pillow||Best Small Space Solution|
*Prices without discount/promo applied.
Click for best price.