Hush Weighted Blanket ReviewUpdated on November 22, 2019 While all product recommendations are chosen independently, we may receive compensation for purchases made through our site. Learn more about our affiliate program here.
While weighted blankets have been used for medical and therapeutic reasons for many years, they have only recently become widely available to the general public. In 2017, Hush launched its original Hush weighted blanket, hoping to bring better sleep to its customers. The Hush blanket uses Deep Pressure Touch to reduce symptoms of anxiety and stress. The effects of the weighted blanket can also reduce cortisol levels and increase serotonin and melatonin.
More than 1,000 hours went into the design and development of the original Hush blanket. Each Hush blanket is constructed with non-toxic glass sand that is evenly distributed throughout the blanket. The inner blanket is a soft microfiber fabric with pockets that keep the glass sand in place.
Following the success of the original Hush blanket, and with feedback from customers in mind, Hush expanded its product line in 2019 with the Hush Iced blanket. This weighted blanket has the same interior as the classic Hush blanket, but with a cooling bamboo and cotton blend cover that wicks away moisture for a cooler sleep. The Hush product line also includes the Hush Kids blanket, which is available with a printed cotton cover or a cooling Iced cover. In addition to these three weighted blanket styles, Hush also offers Iced sheets.
Hush blankets are designed to help reduce symptoms of anxiety, Sensory Processing Disorder, OCD, ADHD, and insomnia. Hush also donates blankets to those in need with its GiveBack program. Read on for our full review of the three Hush blanket styles and what to consider before purchasing a weighted blanket.
In-depth Hush Weighted Blanket Review
Types of Hush Weighted Blankets
Hush offers three types of weighted blankets to cater to different needs and preferences. The original Hush blanket has a soft, minky fabric cover that is warm and cozy. For those who tend to sleep hot, the Hush Iced blanket has a cooling bamboo and cotton blend cover. This blanket is also ideal for summer months. The Hush Kids blanket is smaller, and the classic cover has a fun animal print. The inner blanket of each style is made of a soft microfiber fabric, so it can be used without the removable cover if preferred.
- The Hush Classic Blanket With Duvet Cover: The Hush Classic blanket has a minky cover with microfiber threading. The blanket is super soft and ideal for colder months, or those who prefer added warmth when they sleep. The interior blanket is a soft microfiber fabric with nontoxic glass sand. The sand is evenly distributed in sewn pockets, which prevent shifting. Six hook ties on the cover connect to six hooks on the inner blanket to keep the blanket in place. The duvet cover zips up. The blanket is available in several weight and size options and gives the feeling of being hugged.
- Hush Iced – Cooling Weighted Blanket for Summer: The Hush Iced blanket has the same microfiber inner blanket as the Classic blanket. The cover is a soft and stretchy blend of bamboo and cotton. This blanket sleeps cooler than the Classic blanket, as the breathable cover wicks away moisture. This makes it ideal for summer, or for those who tend to sleep hot. The Iced blanket is also available in several sizes and weights.
- Hush Kids – Weighted Blanket for Children: The Hush Kids blanket is designed with children in mind. The five-pound weight of the blanket is ideal for those who weigh 40 to 70 pounds. The Kids blanket is available with a Classic or Iced cover. The Classic cover is made with breathable cotton and features a colorful animal print. The Iced cover is bamboo and cotton and is only available in a heathered grey color. Both options can help reduce symptoms of anxiety in children and help them fall asleep. The lighter weight makes it an ideal option for traveling.
Sizing, Pricing, and Design Options
The average weighted blanket costs $100 to $300, making it an investment in getting a better night’s sleep. The Hush Classic and Hush Iced blankets are within the average price range for high-quality weighted blankets. These two styles are similar in price, as the interior blanket is the same. The difference between the two blankets is in the materials used for the cover. Both blankets are fabricated with high-quality materials designed to last. Rather than using synthetic fill, Hush uses non-toxic glass sand. The Kids blanket is smaller and lighter, making it less expensive than the full-size styles.
|Kids||36” x 48”||5 lbs.|
|Twin||48” x 78”||10, 15, 20, 25 lbs.|
|Queen||60” x 80”||15, 20, 25 lbs.|
|King||80” x 87”||20, 25 lbs.|
|The Hush Classic Blanket With Duvet Cover||Hush Iced – Cooling Weighted Blanket for Summer||Hush Kids – Weighted Blanket for Children|
|Twin||$209.00 – $229.00||$219.00||N/A|
**Prices listed are from company website. Prices may fluctuate on third-party sites like Amazon.
Materials and Design Information
Hush has limited options when it comes to style, as it only offers one design for each blanket. This may not be ideal for those who want a specific look for their weighted blanket, though the available colors are neutral greys to complement a range of styles. The Hush Kids blanket is offered in a colorful animal print if you choose the Classic design, or a simple heather grey if you choose the Iced version.
|The Hush Classic Blanket With Duvet Cover||Charcoal, Dark Grey|
|Hush Iced – Cooling Weighted Blanket for Summer||Heather Grey|
|Hush Kids – Weighted Blanket for Children||Animal Print or Heather Grey|
Hush Weighted Blanket Performance
Each of the Hush blanket styles provides Deep Pressure Touch that can reduce cortisol levels and symptoms of stress. The weight of the blanket can also affect serotonin and melatonin levels. All three styles are designed to promote a restful night’s sleep.
Using glass sand instead of synthetic fill makes the Hush weighted blanket more breathable. The interior blanket is sewn with compartments that keep the densely packed glass pellets in place. This prevents uneven weight distribution. The inner hooks and ties also keep the interior blanket from shifting in the duvet cover. The duvet cover options, Classic or Iced, let you choose the best material for your personal preferences. The Hush Kids blanket has the same benefits as the Hush blanket, with a lighter weight and fun design that is ideal for children.
The thoughtful design of the Hush blanket makes it a great choice for those who are looking for a comfortable weighted blanket that can help with anxiety, stress, and difficulty falling asleep.
|Distribution of Fill||★★★★★★★☆☆☆|
|Ease of Use and Cleaning||★★★★★★★★☆☆|
- Inner Fill: Each Hush blanket is filled with non-toxic glass pellets. The small pellets are densely packed in compartments in the interior blanket. The sand-like feel of the glass provides even pressure across the body for a comfortable feel.
- Outer Fill: The interior blanket is made with a soft microfiber fabric, and the blanket can be used without a cover. Both cover options, Classic and Iced, are made with high-quality materials. The minky microfiber fabric of the Classic blanket is soft and cozy, but does tend to sleep warm. The Iced blanket has a cooling bamboo and cotton fabrication.
- Breathability: Since the interior blanket has a glass sand, it is more breathable than synthetic materials. The Classic duvet cover may retain heat. If you tend to sleep hot, the Iced version is more breathable as the bamboo and cotton cover wicks away heat and moisture.
- Weight Options: The twin- and queen-size of the Hush Classic blanket are offered in 15, 20, and 25 pounds. The king-size is available in 20 and 25 pounds. The Iced blanket is available in twin-size, with a weight of 15 or 20 pounds. The queen is available in 15, 20, and 25 pounds, while the king is available in 20 and 25 pounds. The Kids blanket is only offered in one size, which weighs 5 pounds.
- Distribution of Inner Fill: Hush uses advanced weight distribution technology to keep the filling from shifting. The small glass sand pellets are densely packed into compartments stitched into the interior blanket, which helps keep the filling distributed evenly. Additionally, the interior blanket is secured to the outer cover with tie hooks.
- Durability: Each Hush blanket is constructed with high-quality materials and durable stitching. As a result, the blanket should last at least a few years with proper care.
- Ease of Use and Cleaning: The duvet cover of all three Hush blanket styles can be machine washed with cold water and soft detergent. The cover should be air-dried to extend its lifespan. The weighted layer should be spot cleaned or hand-washed if needed and hung to dry.
How Do Customers Rate the Hush Weighted Blanket?
|HushBlankets.com||Classic: 4.8/5 (443 reviews) Iced: 4.7/5 (175 reviews) Kids: 4.7/5 (46 reviews)|
How Heavy Should My Hush Weighted Blanket Be?
When purchasing a weighted blanket, it is important to select the right size. Hush recommends choosing a blanket that is around 10 percent of your body weight. Since weighted blankets are typically available in increments of 5 pounds, you may end up between sizes with the 10 percent guideline. In that case, Hush recommends choosing the heavier size.
The twin-size is ideal for personal use, while the queen- and king-sizes can be shared. When sharing a weighted blanket, a size that works for both people should be selected. If you have differing preferences, you can choose to purchase two twin-size blankets instead of sharing a queen or king blanket.
It should also be noted that the heaviest blanket does not necessarily give the most benefits. The blanket should be the appropriate weight for your body size. If it is too heavy, it may retain more heat and cause unneeded stress on the body. Blankets that weigh more than 30 pounds should not be used. If you are using a weighted blanket at the recommendation of a medical professional, be sure to consult with them directly to determine how heavy your blanket should be.
|Blanket Weight||Body Weight|
|5 lbs.||40-70 lbs.|
|15 lbs.||100-170 lbs.|
|20 lbs.||170-240 lbs.|
|25 lbs.||240+ lbs.|
Shopping for a weighted blanket online can present difficulties, since you are not able to see or feel the blanket in person before you buy As such, it is important to view the company’s shipping and return policies prior to purchasing.
Hush is based in Toronto, with a Canadian website and an American one. The company has warehouses in both Canada and the United States, so orders ship relatively quickly and do not incur duties. Hush backs its blankets with a 100-night sleep trial and 1-year limited warranty. More information regarding Hush company policies can be found below.
|Availability||Hush is available in Canada and the United States. The full Hush product line is available exclusively on the Hush website, while the Classic blanket can also be found on Amazon.|
|Shipping||Hush ships to the United States and Canada. Orders shipping to the United States must be placed on the U.S. website, hushblankets.com, while orders shipping to Canada should be placed on the Canadian website, hushblankets.ca. Orders with in-stock items are processed and shipped within 1 to 2 business days via FedEx or UPS. Delivery typically takes 5 to 7 business days. Shipping is free on all orders.|
|Trial||Hush backs each blanket with a 100-night sleep trial. Hush provides a full refund for the blanket as long as it is in good condition, without any stains or damage. The customer is responsible for return shipping. Returned blankets are donated.|
|Warranty||Hush covers its blankets with a 1-year limited warranty. The company will replace the blanket if any manufacturing defects are found. Full details of the warranty can be found here.|
Customer Service: The Hush customer service team is available via email and live chat on the Hush website, and strives to respond to inquiries quickly. The majority of customers have reported a positive experience with Hush customer service.
Reputation: Hush has built its reputation around high-quality weighted blankets that reduce symptoms of anxiety and promote a restful night’s sleep. The company gained popularity and support through crowd-funded campaigns.
BBB Rating: Hush currently has an F rating from the Better Business Bureau, due to complaints that have not yet been resolved.
Years in Business: Hush was founded in 2017.
Physical Stores: Hush does not currently operate any brick-and-mortar stores.