The Purple bed features a unique patented Hyper-Elastic Polymer™gel material and foam construction in. The mattress has a 9.5-inch height and is available in Twin XL, Queen, King, and California King sizes. There is one firmness level available, which is slightly firmer than medium.
Let’s take a quick look at the pros and cons of the Purple mattress:
|100-night sleep trial
Made in the USA
Polymer technology excellent for hot sleepers
Minimal motion transfer is great for couples
Adjustable bed compatible
Budget-friendly online mattress option
Great bounce for sex
|Not available in Twin or Full sizes
Extra shipping costs for Alaska and Hawaii
Return and trial period policies only valid through Purple website
Heavier-than-average mattress despite smaller dimensions in width, length, and height
Best performance requires purchasing other Purple products
Poor edge support
Purple Mattress In-Depth Review
Purple Mattress Pricing
The Purple mattress is currently available in four mattress sizes listed below. The Purple mattress sizes are slightly smaller than equivalent mattresses in weight and length by a half-inch each. For example, a typical queen mattress is 60 x 80 inches, while a Purple queen mattress is 59.5 x 79.5 inches. All Purple beds have a 9.5-inch height. The Purple bed is not available in full or twin sizes.
|California King||71.5” x 83.5” x 9.5”||140 pounds||$1,299|
|King||75.5” x 79.5” x 9.5”||140 pounds||$1,299|
|Queen||59.5” x 79.5” x 9.5”||110 pounds||$999|
|Twin XL||37.5” x 79.5” x 9.5”||70 pounds||$699|
Monthly pricing is also available in 6, 12, and 18 month periods. In addition to the Purple bed, the company also sells a foam pillow, seat cushion, sheets, mattress protector, platform base, and adjustable base.
Purple Mattress Firmness
The Purple mattress is slightly firmer than medium, at a 6 to 6.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. Only one firmness level is available. Purple’s marketing centers around the bed not being medium firm like most mattresses. Instead, the company claims to offer the best of both worlds with its mattress: firmness to support the back and softness to provide relief for the hips and shoulders.
Purple Mattress Availability
You can order the Purple mattress through their website, Amazon, and authorized online resellers. Beds purchased through the Purple website ship free to all 48 continental United States, and for an additional fee to Hawaii, Alaska, and Canada. Mattresses shipped through Amazon and other resellers follow those sites’ respective shipping policies.
Purple Mattress Construction
The Purple mattress is not your typical foam mattress. The bed is constructed of their proprietary Hyper-Elastic Polymer™gel material and other foams. The material’s grid formation and column design allows optimal airflow, preventing moisture trapping, extending the lifespan of the mattress, and helping it sleep cooler than comparable memory foam and latex beds.
The Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ foam is recyclable, hypoallergenic, CertiPur-US(R) certified, and made from food- and food-contact-grade ingredients. CertiPur-US ® certified foams are made without ozone depleters, flame retardants (PBDEs, TDCPP, TCEP), mercury, lead, and other heavy metals, formaldehyde phthalates, and low VOC emissions for indoor air quality.
The Purple bed consists of three layers:
- 2-inch cooling layer of the Hyper-Elastic Polymer™gel material grid covered with a non-toxic polyethylene copolymer powder coating that cools the mattress, minimizes noise, and prevents premature sagging.
- 3.25-inch medium-soft comfort layer of polyurethane foam (1.8 pounds density) designed for pressure point relief and compression support
- 4-inch medium-firm support layer of polyurethane foam (2.0 pounds density)
The cover is made of a knit fabric (29% Viscose, 67% Polyester, 4% Lycra) that serves a fire retardant, with a non-slip bottom made from 100% Polyester. The breathable cover has a white diamond pattern design and fits snugly, further helping to minimize heat retention. The cover should not be washed.
The Purple bed is made in the USA.
How does the Purple mattress ship?
The Purple mattress arrives compressed in a vinyl purple tube with handles that make it easier to handle.
Unboxing a Purple mattress
The tube includes a Purple slicer similar to a letter opener that cuts down the length of the tube along the zipper. Once unsliced you can unroll the mattress from the layers of purple fabric. The twin XL ships in a 38” x 16” diameter tube, the queen in a 60” x 16” tube, and the king and california king sizes in a 76” x 16” diameter tube.
Purple 100-night Sleep Trial
Purple offers a 100 night sleep trial for beds purchased through its website, that begins on the delivery date of your mattress. If you request a return, Purple will send someone to pick up the mattress from your home and then they donate it to a local charity or recycle it.
Multiple reviewers on Amazon mention that if you purchase through Amazon, Amazon’s return policy applies which is a 30 day period. Returns on Amazon are free as a shipping label is included, but customers will have to determine how to package and ship their mattress on their own.
Purple Mattress Warranty
The Purple Bed offers a 10-year non-prorated Limited Warranty for original purchasers of the bed through Purple or an authorized reseller. The customer has to pay transportation costs to return their mattress under the warranty. The bed cover warranty lasts for 2 years.
The warranty applies if the mattress develops a visible indentation of 1 inch or greater or if the mattress materials crack or split. The indentation must be large enough to be from a body impression and applies only to the mattress itself, not to settling from the cover fiber-fill materials.
The warranty is void if the bed is not used on a firm, flat, solid or non-spring foundation. For a queen or larger bed, the foundation must have 5 or more legs with a center support. The warranty is also void if the mattress has been damaged, abused, or neglected and presents signs of stains, jumping on the bed, bed bug infestation, or other issues.
Purple Shipping Policy
Purple ships free to the continental United States. Shipping costs to Alaska and Hawaii average around $237. Shipping rates for Canada were not available at the time of writing as Purple had just announced the expansion.
Purple Old Mattress Removal Policy
Purple does not assist with recycling, donating, or removing your old mattress.
Purple Mattress Performance
- Motion Transfer: The foam mattress allows for minimal motion transfer issues and absorbs motion extremely well. The powder coating also helps minimize noise.
- Edge Support: The mattress sinks between 2.5 and 4 inches, so it’s not ideal for heavier couples or anyone who regularly sits on the side of the bed.
- Heat retention: The Purple bed’s Smart Grid optimizes air flow, allowing for superior temperature regulation.
- Offgassing: Due to the foam contents, there is an initial off-gassing with the mattress that smells “nutty and sweet” according to Purple. It should go away within a few days and is nothing to worry about.
- Support: The Purple mattress offers a similar supportive feel to a latex mattress. The top layer provides pressure relief to allow proper spinal alignment and support from the bottom layer.
- Conforming: Sleepers will not sink in or feel stuck the way they would with a traditional memory foam mattress. The contouring is more like a latex bed with a rounded feel rather than exact to your body as with a memory foam mattress. The middle layer in particular allows heavier body parts to sink in, like the hips. For most sleepers, the mattress will provide 1 to 1.5 inches sinkage.
- Longevity/Durability: The Purple mattress should last 8 to 10 years. The density of the foam layers bodes well for its longevity. However, it is a new, untested material and the company has only been around for a few years, so there is no way to know for sure if it will last that long yet.
- Sex: The polymer provides a bounciness similar to that of a latex mattress. The Purple bed is very bouncy and great for sex.
For ultimate performance, Purple recommends purchasing their other products for use with the bed:
- For the base, Purple recommends using their platform base or power base, a box foundation, adjustable bed, bunky, platform foundation, or the floor. If a slatted base is used, slats should be no more than 3 inches apart. Purple recommends against using a traditional box spring with springs inside.
- Purple heavily emphasizes using stretchy sheets and mattress protectors to ensure the ultimate pressure release and performance of the bed. If a shopper chooses to use their own sheets rather than Purple’s sheets and mattress protectors, the company recommends using any that contain at least 5% spandex to ensure sufficient thinness and stretch.
Purple recommends rotating the mattress every 6 months. The Purple bed should not be flipped.
What type of sleeper is well suited to a Purple Mattress?
Choosing the right mattress is heavily dependent on your unique preferences, typical sleeping position, body weight and type, and any health conditions you have. Use as much of the sleep trial as possible to determine whether the bed is good for you.
Having said that, Purple claims the bed supports 120 – 300 pounds per side (or 600 pounds total) and is designed for back and side sleepers to enjoy proper spinal support. Sleepers of different body weights may have different experiences with the Purple bed:
- Lightweight sleepers under 130 pounds will feel like they are floating above the mattress and get very little contour. As a result, they not find the mattress comfortable, regardless of their sleeping position.
- Sleepers of average weight will feel some “hug” as they’ll sink in slightly to the mattress regardless of their sleeping position.
- Heavier sleepers over 150 pounds will be able to sink in and feel a “hug” from the mattress. It should be comfortable for heavier sleepers who sleep on their side and back, but it may sink in too much for stomach sleepers and cause their back to arch.
Purple Company Information
Purple entered the mattress industry through a successful Kickstarter campaign in 2015. The company was started by two brothers and engineers, Tony and Terry Pearce. Before Purple, they developed the Hyper-Elastic Polymer™for use in multiple products ranging from wheelchair cushions to backpack straps. The company’s headquarters are located at 123 E 200 N in Alpine, Utah 84004. There are no physical showrooms.
Purple’s customer service team is available via Live Chat, email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and phone at (888-848-8456) Monday through Friday 8am – 6pm Mountain Time. The returns department can be reached at email@example.com Monday through Friday 8am – 4:30pm Mountain Time. The company is closed on standard holidays (New Year’s Eve and Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Day). The customer service has positive reviews but has limited availability when compared to other online mattress retailers who typically have extended or 24-hour availability.
Purple has an A rating with the Better Business Bureau, with 1 neutral review and 12 complaints, and is not BBB Accredited. As of September 2017, the Purple bed has the following consumer ratings:
- 5 stars from 5,568 reviews on its website
- 4.5 stars from 525 reviews on Amazon
- None on Consumer Reports
- A 78 customer satisfaction rating on Tuck
The Purple bed is best for hot sleepers seeking excellent pressure point relief in back and side sleeping positions. The mattress has a great bounce conducive to sex and has minimal motion transfer.
The unique feel may be hard to adjust to for individuals who already love a certain mattress type like an innerspring or memory foam mattress. The slightly firmer-than-medium bed may prove uncomfortably firm for very lightweight sleepers. The non-standard, slightly smaller mattress sizes may be too small for taller sleepers and may not work as well with other sheets.
The Purple mattress claims to provide a bed worth $3,000 to $5,000 for a fraction of the cost. The bed is indeed affordable, especially when compared to other online mattresses. However, the value may not seem as great when you consider you have to buy other Purple sheets and products to ensure optimum performance.
- Material Quality: 4
- Temperature Regulation: 5
- Offgassing: 4.5
- Suitability for Sex: 4.5
- Support: 4
- Sleep Trial: 5
- Warranty: 4
- Company Reputation: 4.5
All images from Purple.