The Zenhaven mattress is a 100% organic all-latex mattress, sourced from American Talalay latex and New Zealand wool and cotton. The Zenhaven bed is available in two firmness levels in all the standard mattress sizes, featuring a 10-inch height. The bed contains a 6-inch latex support core and 3-inch latex comfort layer, wrapped in a 1-inch layer of New Zealand wool for additional temperature regulation.
Let’s take a quick look at the pros and cons of the Zenhaven bed:
|All-latex mattress sleeps cool
Available in two firmness levels
100% organic, eco-friendly, anti-microbial option
Adjustable base compatible
Good bounce for sex
Longer trial period than most online mattresses
All-natural luxury mattress option for half the price of comparable beds
Expected lifespan of 20 years
Full service in-home delivery
Excellent customer service
|Relatively young company so can’t test the longevity claims of the mattress
Longer delivery time than other mattresses
Home delivery requires customer to be home
Split bed required for larger sizes if going up a narrow staircase
$99 delivery fee and additional return costs
Heavy weight makes the bed difficult to move or maneuver
Zenhaven Mattress In-Depth Review
Zenhaven Mattress & Pricing
The Zenhaven bed features a 10-inch height and is available in all the standard mattress sizes.
|California King||72” x 84” x 10”||$2,499|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$2,499|
|Queen||60* x 80* x 10*||$1,899|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10”||$1,699|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”||$1,349|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 10”||$1,299|
Pricing is the same every day of the year. The only discount available is $50 off for military members. Zenhaven does not collect sales tax.
At 125 pounds for a queen, the Zenhaven bed is heavier than other mattress types, but in line with many latex and latex-hybrid mattresses.
When purchasing the Zenhaven mattress, customers may also purchase a 4.75-inch or 8.75-inch foundation for $250 each, the Lineal adjustable base from $1,199 to $2,498, or a bed frame for $99.
Zenhaven Mattress Firmness
Zenhaven offers 2-in-1 comfort technology, which means that sleepers can choose their preferred level of firmness simply by flipping the bed over. The two firmness levels are color-coded:
The green Luxury Plush side is preferred by 80% of Zenhaven customers, according to the website. It offers a medium-soft firmness, between a 4 to 5 on a scale of 1 to 10. The blue Gentle Firm side is 18% firmer and provides a medium-firm firmness, between a 7 to 8 on a scale of 1 to 10.
The Zenhaven mattress is heavy, so if you wish to flip your mattress over, the company will send a team to do so for you completely for free.
Zenhaven Mattress Availability
The Zenhaven mattress is only available for purchase directly through their website to customers in the United States and Canada.
Zenhaven Mattress Construction
Zenhaven is an all-natural latex mattress composed of 100% organic American Talalay latex, organic New Zealand wool, and organic cotton. No synthetic latex or petroleum-based foams are used in the bed.
Beneath the quilted organic cotton cover, a 1-inch organic New Zealand wool layer serves as a flame-retardant barrier and adds further breathability to the mattress in combination with the cotton cover. Inside, there are four inner layers made of premium Talalay latex. Because the Zenhaven mattress is designed with two comfort levels, the latex layers basically mirror each other but provide a different firmness for the sleeper depending on which side is on top:
- 1.5-inch Gentle Firm comfort layer
- 3-inch Firm base layer (ILD 30-34)
- 3-inch Plush base layer (ILD 25-29)
- 1.5-inch Luxury Plush comfort layer
The comfort layers utilize a 5-zone design to achieve optimum support for varying needs of the body. The different-sized pinholes in the latex maximize pressure point relief for the body parts lying on top of those areas. Overall the ILD of the Zenhaven mattress ranges from 14-34 depending on which firmness side is used. IFD stands for Indention Force Deflection and measures the firmness of the latex foam (the higher the IFD, the firmer the foam).
There are two kinds of latex used in all-latex beds: Dunlop latex and Talalay latex. The Zenhaven bed uses Talalay latex. The difference lies primarily in how they are constructed and the resultant feel. Both source their latex from rubber trees and are 100% organic. Talalay has a bouncier feel while Dunlop is denser and heavier. Talalay latex cells are 50% larger than Dunlop latex, allowing for better airflow and a cooler mattress for sleepers despite conforming more to the body.
Organic all-latex mattresses appeal to eco-minded consumers, but they offer many real health benefits as well. Organic latex mattresses are hypoallergenic and contain naturally more breathable materials that are resistant to mold, bacteria, and dust mites.
The Zenhaven mattress is constructed in 18 American factories and one Canadian factory and is shipped from over 100 fulfillment centers.
How does the Zenhaven mattress ship?
Delivery takes 8 to 15 days. Zenhaven will call you 1 day before your delivery to give you a 4-hour time window.
Zenhaven 120-Day Sleep Trial
At 120 days, Zenhaven offers one of the longest home trials for online mattresses retailers. If you decide to return your mattress during the trial period, Zenhaven will send a team to your home to pick up the mattress. You receive a full refund less the original delivery fee.
You can also exchange your mattress for a different size, less the cost of delivery. The Lineal adjustable base is not returnable.
Zenhaven Mattress Warranty
The Zenhaven bed comes with a 20-year warranty. Body impressions greater than ¾-inch are covered under the warranty.
If your mattress becomes defective in the first two years, they will replace it with a brand new mattress completely for free. After the first two years, they will repair and re-cover your mattress for a $99 transportation cost both ways (no other fees).
Zenhaven also offers a Fairness Replacement Option for mattresses that become defective after 2 years. This allows consumers to keep their defective mattress but purchase a new one under the following conditions:
- Years 3 to 5: New mattress for 25% of original price
- Years 6 to 10: New mattress for 50% of original price
- Years 11 to 15: New mattress for 75% of original price
- Plus delivery charge of $99 for new mattress
The Zenhaven warranty covers the following types of platforms: solid platform beds, metal frames (4 legs for full or twin size beds, and 5 or 6 legs for queen and king size beds), and slatted platform beds (as long as a solid surface is placed on top of the slats to create a uniform surface for the mattress).
The warranty is only available to the original purchaser of the bed, and is void if the bed has been burned, abused, or otherwise damaged.
Zenhaven Shipping Policy
Zenhaven ships anywhere in the continental United States for a flat rate of $99. Two Zenhaven delivery team members arrive to fully set up the mattress for you in your home.
Zenhaven Mattress Additional fees
Individuals with a narrow staircase who order a queen or king size mattress will need to purchase a split foundation for the bed for an additional $35.
Zenhaven Old Mattress Removal Policy
Customers can pay a flat rate of $39 for the delivery team to remove up to two mattress items from their home (mattress and foundation, two mattresses, or two foundations), and $19.50 for each additional item.
Zenhaven Mattress Performance
- Motion Transfer: While not as good as a memory foam mattress, the Zenhaven provides above-average motion transfer when compared to most other types of mattresses. It absorbs movement like a memory foam mattress without trapping body heat.
- Edge Support: The Zenhaven bed offers better-than-average edge support, but still sinks significantly when a person sits on the edge of the bed. The effect is especially worsened on the Luxury Plus side, with sinkage as much as 3 or 4 inches.
- Heat retention: All-latex mattresses are known for being breathable and providing a cool sleeping surface. The Zenhaven’s wool layer and the organic cotton cover also help regulate temperature by absorbing any moisture from humidity. Because latex conforms to the body more generally via a rounded contour, the mattress doesn’t trap body heat as much either.
- Offgassing: Because the Zenhaven mattress is made from natural latex, there is no offgassing smell and you can begin sleeping on your mattress immediately.
- Support: The zoned construction of the comfort layers provides better relief to heavier parts of the body, helping reduce back pain while ensuring spinal alignment.
- Conforming: Latex provides an elasticity and bounce that results in a rounded contour, instead of specific pressure points. This prevents sagging and improves the lifespan of the mattress. The lack of individual pressure point relief also supports the body without pinching, causing numbness, or feeling “trapped” in the bed.
- Longevity/Durability: Talalay latex is one of the most durable mattress types out there with a natural bounciness that resists sagging and body impressions. Zenhaven offers one of the longest warranties with 20 years. While the parent company Saatva is one of the older online mattress companies, it still has only been around for under a decade, so the warranty claims have been untested. Saatva recommends getting the Zenhaven foundation for the bed to ensure ultimate longevity but your own foundation is still covered under the warranty.
- Suitability for sex: Latex is naturally bouncy and conducive to intimate activities, with the added benefit of being quieter than a traditional innerspring mattress.
What type of sleeper is well suited to a Zenhaven Mattress?
While everyone’s experience is different, latex mattresses tend to provide the best support for back and side sleepers. The uniformity of Talalay latex mattresses offers excellent relief for back pain and pressure point relief, and they do a nice job supporting the body’s natural curve for side sleepers.
If you primarily sleep on your stomach, the Zenhaven mattress may still be a good fit. Heavier stomach sleepers who weigh over 230 pounds may find adequate support, but the bounciness of the latex may prove uncomfortable for stomach sleepers who weigh 130 pounds or less.
Ultimately, finding the best mattress depends on your unique needs and the bed’s ability to keep your spine properly supported. Only you can determine if a mattress does that well for you, which is why you have 120 days to figure it out with Zehaven’s sleep trial.
Zenhaven Company Information
Zenhaven is owned by Saatva, who also sells the luxury innerspring Saatva mattress and the Loom & Leaf memory foam mattress. Saatva headquarters are located at 8 Wright Street, Suite 108 in Westport, CT 06880.
Saatva is one of the oldest online mattress retailers, having been established in 2010. The company has an A+ BBB rating and has been accredited since 2011, with 2 positive reviews, 1 negative review, and 8 total complaints as of September 2017. However, it should be noted that the Zenhaven bed reviews on their website are not easily sortable and feature mostly 5-star reviews.
Saatva does not have any stores or showrooms, which the company emphasizes heavily in their marketing. Without the overhead of managing retail stores and sales commission, they are able to cut the cost of their Zenhaven mattress nearly in half when compared to other premium latex mattresses. On the website, Zenhaven offers a clear comparison chart of their bed against comparable latex and latex-hybrid mattresses.
Zenhaven is the largest seller of Talalay latex mattresses in the U.S. and Canada. Their customer service team is available 2/47 via Live Chat, phone (877-517-6266), and email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Zenhaven mattress is a good choice for sleepers who want a luxury feel at a good price, and who want some hug but sleep too hot for a memory foam mattress. Eco-minded consumers will appreciate the all-natural, 100% organic mattress, as will any sleepers with allergies, thanks to its antimicrobial properties.
Individuals who prefer the feel of a traditional innerspring or a memory foam latex may not like the Zenhaven bed as the Talalay latex offers a very different feel all its own.
Even though the Zenhaven is priced competitively, it is still one of the priciest mattress options out there, being an all-latex mattress. As such, it may not be worth the price tag if the sleeper doesn’t plan to keep it as a long-term investment.
- Material Quality: 5
- Temperature Regulation: 5
- Offgassing: 5
- Suitability for Sex: 5
- Support: 4.9
- Sleep Trial: 5
- Warranty: 5
- Company Reputation: 4.5
All images from Zenhaven.